I hope everyone had a relaxing fall break! October starts the period of formal advising for spring and summer registration. Check MyPack Portal for your enrollment date. Advisors are sending out information regarding meetings. Use NC State’s Pack Planner tool to map out your Spring 2020 courses as well as plans for Summer and Fall 2020 courses (here’s an explanation of how to use Pack Planner). Planners need to be submitted at least five business days before your enrollment appointment or advising appointment, whichever comes first. Your advisor will let you know if you also need to print out a paper copy of your degree audit and planner.
The big department event for this month is PR Day on Friday, Oct. 25. Check out the information below to learn about the event and how to register.
Public Relations Student Society of America’s (PRSSA) biggest event of the year, PR Day, is quickly approaching. For those of you who don’t know what PR Day is, it’s an all-day event featuring public relations professionals across multiple sectors (agency, non-profit, sports, etc.) who come and talk to NC State students and offer advice, share their experiences, network and more. This year, some of the organizations include The Blood Connection, SAS, Carolina Hurricanes, The Jimmy V Foundation, and multiple local and global PR agencies. If you want to gain a new perspective on what the field of PR and communication entails, build lasting connections and get your name known, then don’t miss out. Though it is highly suggested for you to attend the whole event, you can come and go as necessary.
PR Day will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton on Hillsborough Street in the Roosevelt room from 8:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25. Please register here.
919 Marketing, a national marketing and public relations agency based in Raleigh, is proud to offer a scholarship award of $919 along with an internship to be completed in the spring or summer of the same year. 919 Marketing has worked with an exciting roster of companies, including Golden Corral, The Joint, Scooter’s Coffee, Rita’s Italian Ice, The Rosetta Stone, in addition to non-profit organizations such as College Foundation North Carolina, Talk it Out and the NC 529 College Savings Plan.
- Application deadline: Nov. 15, 2019
- Reward: $919 and an internship at 919 Marketing in the spring or summer of 2020
- Who can apply: Full-time NC State students who are communication majors with a concentration in public relations
- Selection criteria: Applicants are required to write an essay between 1,000-2,000 words. Spring 2020 scholarship essay topic: Give us your take on the future of public relations and how this scholarship and internship would help you achieve your college and professional goals.
Top candidates will be selected for a follow-up phone interview. The 2020 scholarship winner will be announced Dec. 1, 2019.
NC State’s PRSSA chapter is hosting its second meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 6:30 p.m. in Winston 114. The meeting falls the week before PR Day, so we will host a “How to Network” workshop in preparation for the event. As always, pizza and refreshments will be served and this meeting is open to all students, including non-members.
The Study Abroad Fair is Friday, Oct. 25 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the State Ballroom of Talley Student Center. Discover best-fit study abroad programs for your major, meet returned study abroad students and find out resources to help make your study abroad experience possible.
- iHeart Media Raleigh is currently looking for part-time promotions assistants to help with station events and concerts as a street team member. The position does pay and has flexible hours for student schedules. It also allows for students to get radio industry experience. If interested, find more information here.
- Raleigh Convention Center is seeking a part-time sales and marketing assistant. The RCC’s Sales and Marketing staff work to develop relationships with clients at the local, national and international levels to bring events, visitors and economic impact to Raleigh. A successful candidate will be a self-starter with strong writing, social media, and design skills and an eye for detail. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join the City of Raleigh and the fast-paced meeting and events industry. For questions about the position, please contact Mary Deifer, RCC Marketing Manager, at email@example.com.
- Renewal By Anderson of Central North Carolina has an internship position open as well as full-time opportunities. Please contact Jodie McClement, director of marketing, for additional information.
- EcoVillage Mentor: Do you love helping people? Do you have a passion for sustainability and the environment? Applications for next year’s EcoVillage Mentor positions are now OPEN through midnight on Wednesday, Oct. 30. All are welcome to apply, including non-EcoVillage students across the University! EcoVillage Mentors work to help first year and transfer students experience a welcoming and engaging transition to college life at NC State, through a sustainability lens. We define sustainability in its entirety, including environmental conservation & stewardship, social & environmental justice, and business ethics & social innovation in entrepreneurship. EcoVillage Mentors work as undergraduate teaching assistants for our required course in the fall semester, USC 116 “Introduction to Sustainability for EcoVillage,” serve as unofficial academic coaches within the EcoVillage community, and practice active listening and empathizing for student residents’ personal challenges, followed by referral to the appropriate campus services and resources. Mentors gain valuable leadership skills, including interpersonal and written communication skills, and project management experience, through a combination of rigorous training and on-going professional development opportunities. The job description and application can be found here. Please contact the EcoVillage director, Meghan Teten, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Compensation Package:
- $2,500 stipend (~1,250/semester)
- ResNet (~$280 value)
- $70 in laundry for the year
- Mentors can request a preferred roommate to live with them in EcoVillage (roommate does not have to participate in EcoVillage)
- Compensation Package:
The State of NC Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium is Nov. 23 at Duke University. This event is an opportunity to present your individual student research and creative work. The deadline for abstract submissions is Oct. 21. Click here for more information.